Spanish Word of the Day

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I'm back



Hey,
I just got back from Austria! In case you do not know what I was doing, the Blanchards had to attend a TEAM France missions conference at a castle in Austria. David and I hung out with the youth and had our own teaching time with leaders who came just to teach the missionary kids. I found out a lot about the MKs, and I say "MKs" with hesitance because one of the things I got out of this trip was that "MKs" are just like any other kid you might meet and just because they are in another culture doesn't mean that they are not Americans or French. One of the hard parts of being a MK is that you are put into a box and made to feel like you do not belong in any culture, because the French call them American and Americans call them "MKs" or third culture kids instead of just treating them like everyone else. But at the same time some of the youth say that they like to be called MKs and that it makes them unique, mostly because they are, not a lot of youth have lived in two country's and know what other cultures are like. I guess what I want to get across is that MKs are just like me or you but with more cultural experience.
I was also able to get some more filming/editing practice because all the youth made a movie, slide show, and a song. I think it was a good experience and will help me be able to communicate with the children of our CBC missionaries.
I have some pic's of the conference. I know it looks like I was just having fun. But that s mostly because I was. It was a great time to make friends and fellowship with David and the other youth. Thank you for waiting for this post I couldn't get internet without paying for it in Austria so I waited till now.
PS. I did not have to wear a speedo in Austria only in France. So no pictures for you. ;)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to see your back!Give me a shout sometime and we can boogie together!

anna_a_miller said...

Hey,Alec!
Very cool good post.
Oh,btw,I was just wandering if you got a Facebook yet?!?!?!haha.jk.

Anonymous said...

How about another up date?
MOM

Samantha said...

That is so cool. I really liked that post.

josiah newport said...

hey bro, ive got a blog here as well, and i was just wondering if you could give some pointers bc you've got a sweet layout and i cant seem to get pictures on mine like you do...so if you wouldn't mind shooting me an email bout that...thanx bro
-Josiah (one of the nuts from Austria...)